Skip to main content

Kind of Blue: L.A. Mystery, Austrian Angle (Book Review 1)

I rarely read mystery novels, but this post is about one: Kind of Blue is a new piece of crime fiction by L.A. author Miles Corwin. The reason the book features on Across the Pond? It has an Austrian angle.

Kind of Blue revolves around the deeds of a couple of dirty cops and their efforts to cover up their trails. So far, so L.A. but the protagonist of the mystery, Ash Levine, is a Jewish police detective, and this is where Austria comes in. Ash's family (the first name is probably no coincidence) was murdered in the Holocaust. Ash is tormented by his family's past, by images of Jews being stuffed into cattle waggons and rolled off to death camps. What haunts this detective also motivates him: Ash's almost obsessive drive for solving homicide cases and for bringing killers to justice is rooted in his family's history, in the crimes Austrians and Germans committed against his aunts, uncles, grandparents.

Miles Corwin started his writing career as a journalist. He was a metropolitan reporter for the Los Angeles Times for many years and also wrote three nonfiction books. To research two of them Corwin spent many months shadowing cops of the L.A.P.D. homicide division. The author not only gained an insider's view of police work, he also got to know the L.A. metropolitan area better than most Angelinos ever will.
 
Kind of Blue which is Corwin's first novel takes us on a tour of L.A.: from South Central to Lancaster and from San Pedro to Monrovia. Corwin shows us Los Angeles in all its racial and socioeconomic diversity, from white to black and from gritty to glitzy. We encounter police officers, gang bangers, antiques dealers, Mexicans, Koreans, and Ash's almost stereotypical Jewish mother, who keeps an ever watchful eye on her adult son's involvement with women.

The book does have a few kinks: it gets a little slow somewhere in the middle and it could have done with one or two characters less. Also, on the plot level, Ash's enemies seem a tad too sure that Ash will fall into the trap they have set up for him. But it is a good read - for mystery fans and L.A. lovers anywhere and especially for those in Austria and Germany who seek to understand how our shared past influences the day to day lives of people who are thousands of miles away.

Comments

debi said…
Christina,

This sounds like just my type of novel.

I ordered on my kindle and can't wait to start.
Hope you like it. I'll be interested to hear what you think.

Popular posts from this blog

Ban on Plastic Bags Bugs L.A. County

Paper or plastic? Bag from South Africa. My friend recently came back from a trip to South Africa and brought me a reusable grocery bag. It is from Woolworths, one of the largest retail chains in South Africa; it is made by a community project and serves as a symbol of the company's commitment to sustainability and social development. I will think of this whenever I use my new bag. Thank you, dear friend! The Woolworths bag is not my first reusable bag. I carry two baggies which fold up into packs smaller than a deck of cards in my purse and a bunch of bigger ones in the trunk of my car. To me this feels like an easy way of making a difference environmentally. Others seem to have a harder time. When the county of Los Angeles recently introduced a ban on plastic bags for its unincorporated areas the new ordinance was met with resistance. Shops bemoan that paper is more expensive than plastic. They charge customers ten cents for every paper bag. Shoppers complain about the t

Passionate Nerd, Dull Date: Encounter With a Stamp Collector

"Their album - it's an excuse." Stamps from Austria Last week I received a packet from Austria. It came with two old fashioned looking petit point stamps. I do not collect stamps and would not recognize a Blue Mauritius if you sent me one but the stamps from Austria caught my interest. As my fingers were running over the stitching I couldn't help but wonder: does anyone still do petit point? Are young people here in L.A. or even back in Europe still acquiring the craft? I learned to stitch, sew, and knit in elementary school in Austria but handiwork was not my forte. On the contrary. Crafts used to be the one subject I loathed - though I believe that my mother still keeps the red and blue pot holder I crocheted in second grade. (It was supposed to be a square but ended up an irregular trapeze.) The other thing I was wondering about when the packet arrived is whether young people still collect stamps. When I was in high school I knew a guy my age with a collec

Casual Spirit, Egalitarian Touch: the American Potluck

"Meal at which all people present share dishes they brought"? Po tluck. Today being Labor Day some families in our neighborhood decided to get together for a potluck: grilled chicken and salmon, home made potato salad; a salad of spinach, blue cheese, and pears; a fruit platter, brownies... I like potlucks, their casual spirit, the egalitarian touch. Very American. Everybody pitches in, no one has to feel bad because one family or even one person had to do all the work. In Austria potlucks are not really common; there is not even a German word for the concept. It could be   Kesselglueck -  literal yet somewhat charming - but that term doesn't exist. On the web I found "Potluck: großes Abendessen, bei dem sich alle Anwesenden selbst mitgebrachte Speisen teilen" (translation from  Reverso ). This describes the idea accurately but it is a bit long. For those of you who don't speak German, here's a re-translation, phrased as an invitation: "P