Skip to main content

Food's Glorious Future: Snackified Drinks, Drinkified Snacks

Snackified drinks and drinkified snacks: that is the future of food and it will be good for us, says PepsiCo, the largest producer of food and beverages in the United States. PepsiCo is training for the perfect split: give people what they want and are used to, snacks and drinks that taste of sugar, fat, and salt, but sneak in what they don't get enough of, namely protein and especially fiber.

In a recent article in the New Yorker titled Snacks for a Fat Planet Indra Nooyi, the CEO of PepsiCo, talks of "this new convergence area coming up" which according to her is going to be "a glorious area." She promises that our children - apparently refuseniks of the first order when it comes to eating healthy food - will drink carrots though they wouldn't eat them; they will suck minestrone and "oatmeal with a little bit of fruit" out of single serve pouches; they will be happy and healthy.

Hm. I am doubtful. First, I hope that the "new convergence area" will be just that, an area rather than an era (I fear the latter may be true). Second, is the future Nooyi predicts really so glorious? To me it sounds horrible. Take the above mentioned oatmeal: in my mind I see a bowl of oats with walnuts, some milk, and blueberries (glorious!), something my young daughter will happily eat. Do we need our protein with fiber and fruit liquefied? No. Do we need to be sucking it out of a plastic pouch? Not as long as we can chew.

Nooyi's enthusiasm for processing food ever further is professional, for sure, but her belief that people will be happy with PepsiCo's "new convergence area" is also very New Worldish. Americans think that we can improve anything by adding technology and science; they embrace the new, trust that change is generally for the better. My mind set is more European. I am grateful for inventions such as the internet and the smart phone but I am also a sceptic, a cynic at times. As such I beg you: please don't touch my food!

Comments

Sarah O said…
Oh, say it ain't so! This is a most disturbing proposition! I'm with you 100% Christina - let's keep our kids eating their yummy bowls of oatmeal. Slurping it out of a plastic pouch wounds like a disaster for the health of the individual AND the planet!
Mark said…
Hi Christina,

Maybe the Pepsi CEO imagines us all living on Mars sucking on Astronaut food pouches?

I never trusted big corporations with my food, especially after watching "Food Inc." Reese & I have been progressively cooking at home more and more, and buying less processed foods. I'm sure it tastes much better than Pepsi's lasagna in a plastic bottle or whatever they think up.

I have hope for the "next generation" too. With the surge in food blogs, led by younger people's interest in cooking with fresh ingredients, Pepsi would be mistaken to invest too much in liquid food.

Thanks,

Mark
Thank you Sarah and Mark. You gave me food for thought. Since you are both American (at least I think so) your comments remind me that generalizations are problematic, to say the least: you are obviously not in the category of those "who think that we can improve anything by adding technology and science". Good for you. Sorry for the lapse.

Popular posts from this blog

Ban on Plastic Bags Bugs L.A. County

Paper or plastic? Bag from South Africa. My friend recently came back from a trip to South Africa and brought me a reusable grocery bag. It is from Woolworths, one of the largest retail chains in South Africa; it is made by a community project and serves as a symbol of the company's commitment to sustainability and social development. I will think of this whenever I use my new bag. Thank you, dear friend! The Woolworths bag is not my first reusable bag. I carry two baggies which fold up into packs smaller than a deck of cards in my purse and a bunch of bigger ones in the trunk of my car. To me this feels like an easy way of making a difference environmentally. Others seem to have a harder time. When the county of Los Angeles recently introduced a ban on plastic bags for its unincorporated areas the new ordinance was met with resistance. Shops bemoan that paper is more expensive than plastic. They charge customers ten cents for every paper bag. Shoppers complain about the t

Passionate Nerd, Dull Date: Encounter With a Stamp Collector

"Their album - it's an excuse." Stamps from Austria Last week I received a packet from Austria. It came with two old fashioned looking petit point stamps. I do not collect stamps and would not recognize a Blue Mauritius if you sent me one but the stamps from Austria caught my interest. As my fingers were running over the stitching I couldn't help but wonder: does anyone still do petit point? Are young people here in L.A. or even back in Europe still acquiring the craft? I learned to stitch, sew, and knit in elementary school in Austria but handiwork was not my forte. On the contrary. Crafts used to be the one subject I loathed - though I believe that my mother still keeps the red and blue pot holder I crocheted in second grade. (It was supposed to be a square but ended up an irregular trapeze.) The other thing I was wondering about when the packet arrived is whether young people still collect stamps. When I was in high school I knew a guy my age with a collec

Casual Spirit, Egalitarian Touch: the American Potluck

"Meal at which all people present share dishes they brought"? Po tluck. Today being Labor Day some families in our neighborhood decided to get together for a potluck: grilled chicken and salmon, home made potato salad; a salad of spinach, blue cheese, and pears; a fruit platter, brownies... I like potlucks, their casual spirit, the egalitarian touch. Very American. Everybody pitches in, no one has to feel bad because one family or even one person had to do all the work. In Austria potlucks are not really common; there is not even a German word for the concept. It could be   Kesselglueck -  literal yet somewhat charming - but that term doesn't exist. On the web I found "Potluck: großes Abendessen, bei dem sich alle Anwesenden selbst mitgebrachte Speisen teilen" (translation from  Reverso ). This describes the idea accurately but it is a bit long. For those of you who don't speak German, here's a re-translation, phrased as an invitation: "P