Skip to main content

Old View, New Perspective: In Defense of Pershing Square

"You never saw a dog here." Looking into 6th Street.
Pershing Square is one of my favorite places in L.A. downtown. No. That's not quite accurate: it is not the square that I like but the view that it offers. Palm trees and high rises against the blue sky. So L.A.!

The square itself? That one block in the heart of downtown? I'm not so sure: concrete blocks, spheres, a tower, all in the brightest colors, yellow, purple, and more concrete for the ground. The yellow clashes with the brown of the Biltmore Hotel behind it; the trees are few and small. Bottom line, I have never felt the urge to linger in Pershing Square. It was a place I noticed in passing, on my way to somewhere else. Like a train station.

"No graffiti, no gangs." Concrete blocks, spheres on Pershing Square.
The other day I decided to look more closely, to maybe find a different perspective. It was a weekday, around noon, the space almost empty. I saw a security guard in front of the escalator to the underground parking garage; a dozen homeless people sleeping on a patch of grass or on benches; a few men and women in an area with tables and chairs.

Two people who introduced themselves as Nancy and Tim had a couple of minutes to spare. I asked them how they liked Pershing Square. Tim scrunched up the wrapper of the Subway sandwich he had been chewing on and leaned back in his chair. "It's good. We come here for lunch break. When I started working downtown, in 1999, there were lots of empty buildings here. But it's changed."

Nancy and Tim told me about summer concerts and about an ice rink in the winter, how things were "cleaned up" during the pre-recession years of L.A. downtown's gentrification. "Before then, back in the day, it was a place to avoid", Nancy said.

"Three or four years ago", Tim carried on, "you never saw a dog downtown. Now they walk them here. In the evenings people come down from Disney Hall. The women are dressed to the nines. No graffiti, no gangs. It's pretty safe. L.A. has done a good job and I am proud to be an Angeleno."

Comments

debi said…
Christina,
I'm glad you asked Nancy and Tim. It's nice to hear of good changes like the ones to Pershing Square.
Thanks, Debi. I'm glad too. It's always good to hear the other side. Plus talking to Nancy and Tim was fun.

Popular posts from this blog

Ban on Plastic Bags Bugs L.A. County

Paper or plastic? Bag from South Africa. My friend recently came back from a trip to South Africa and brought me a reusable grocery bag. It is from Woolworths, one of the largest retail chains in South Africa; it is made by a community project and serves as a symbol of the company's commitment to sustainability and social development. I will think of this whenever I use my new bag. Thank you, dear friend! The Woolworths bag is not my first reusable bag. I carry two baggies which fold up into packs smaller than a deck of cards in my purse and a bunch of bigger ones in the trunk of my car. To me this feels like an easy way of making a difference environmentally. Others seem to have a harder time. When the county of Los Angeles recently introduced a ban on plastic bags for its unincorporated areas the new ordinance was met with resistance. Shops bemoan that paper is more expensive than plastic. They charge customers ten cents for every paper bag. Shoppers complain about ...

Another Word for Fast Food? Trzesniewski (Pile On 1)

The other day I passed by a new Subway sandwich place which had opened a few blocks from our house. As I was reflecting its green and yellow sign images of foot long chunks of white bread came to mind, mayo smeared on one half, mustard on the other; ham, provolone, pickles, jalapenos, onions, peppers, olives, tomatoes in between and a bag of chips for sides... People in America like to pile on. I also thought of my favorite fast food place in Vienna, which goes by the unspeakable name of Trzesniewski. The original Trzesniewski opened in the first district more than one hundred years ago. Its oldest location is tucked into a narrow street off of Graben. Other outlets are scattered around town. Trzesniewski sells open face sandwiches, slivers of rye bread (white or wheat? no, you do not get to choose!), topped with spreads made from either egg or tomatoes or cucumber, pickle...

5 Weeks + 13 Days: Austria's Generous Vacation Law

Today's Room for Debate in the New York Times asks, why Americans don't have longer vacations. Interesting topic. To read the debate and join it  click here. Austria has 13 national holidays. The minimum vacation time is five weeks. As a reporter in Vienna in the 1990s I got so much vacation time (plus the national holidays plus compensation days for working Sundays) that there was no way I could have spent it all. Unfortunately for my employer the unconsumed days and weeks carried on to the next year and further to the next. When I quit my job the paper had to pay me for all the free time not taken which added up to almost three months salary. I spent it all.