Skip to main content

Madrid Blessings: Food, Footwear, and a Friendly Priest

What a treat: we got to spend a few days in Madrid, an elegant yet careless, old fashioned and easy going, proud but welcoming, southern place with French, Austrian, and Arabic influences. The people were friendly, and the pickpockets we had been warned of by tourists from Austria must have been on vacation.

We met friends of relative F.'s, an international bunch of happy, energizing people in their thirties, talked politics and culture, ate simple food: Spanish omelet made with firm, waxy potatoes; goat cheese, Iberian ham, green olives, served with plain white bread, country fare, tapas. The yellow peaches were so rich in taste and so juicy that our preteen daughter exclaimed, "I have been waiting to eat this all my life. It is like in James and the Giant Peach."

In three days of wandering we noticed more colorful shoes on feet and in shop windows than I have seen in decades; we studied architecture in all styles from Madrid Baroque to Art Nouveau, Art Deco, and Fifties Modern, found two Renaissance paintings that were on loan from The Huntington in San Marino, California, for an exhibition at the Thyssen Museum, hung out at one of the neighborhood food markets, where we thought of L.A.'s Grand Central Market and of Mexico which has stayed true to its Spanish roots in so many ways.

The churches we had planned to look at were closed, but we knocked on one of the rectory doors and the priest let us in. He took the time to give us a tour of his church and dismissed us with a solemn God bless. I am placing the Spanish capital in my personal pantheon of European cities, along with London and Rome.


Comments

Badger said…
Madrid is on my shopping list of places to visit SOON!
Lorraine Seal said…
We visited Spain for the first time last September, staying in a small Catalonia village for the wedding of one of our Dublin nephews to a young Spanish woman. It was astonishingly beautiful; it also reminded us very much of Southern California. (Which isn't surprising given that Southern California has a Mediterranean ecosystem, one of five in the world.)

While there we went to Tarragona and Barcelona but not Madrid. To my shame, I had never been inclined to visit Spain. Now that I’ve visited, I can’t wait to go back. I love the way you evoke the experience, not least of which is the subdued sun-washed palette enlivened with splashes of brilliant colour.
Thank you, Badger and Lorraine. We are grateful to have seen so much of Europe while we were living in Vienna. Enjoy your travels!

Popular posts from this blog

Ban on Plastic Bags Bugs L.A. County

Paper or plastic? Bag from South Africa. My friend recently came back from a trip to South Africa and brought me a reusable grocery bag. It is from Woolworths, one of the largest retail chains in South Africa; it is made by a community project and serves as a symbol of the company's commitment to sustainability and social development. I will think of this whenever I use my new bag. Thank you, dear friend! The Woolworths bag is not my first reusable bag. I carry two baggies which fold up into packs smaller than a deck of cards in my purse and a bunch of bigger ones in the trunk of my car. To me this feels like an easy way of making a difference environmentally. Others seem to have a harder time. When the county of Los Angeles recently introduced a ban on plastic bags for its unincorporated areas the new ordinance was met with resistance. Shops bemoan that paper is more expensive than plastic. They charge customers ten cents for every paper bag. Shoppers complain about ...

Another Word for Fast Food? Trzesniewski (Pile On 1)

The other day I passed by a new Subway sandwich place which had opened a few blocks from our house. As I was reflecting its green and yellow sign images of foot long chunks of white bread came to mind, mayo smeared on one half, mustard on the other; ham, provolone, pickles, jalapenos, onions, peppers, olives, tomatoes in between and a bag of chips for sides... People in America like to pile on. I also thought of my favorite fast food place in Vienna, which goes by the unspeakable name of Trzesniewski. The original Trzesniewski opened in the first district more than one hundred years ago. Its oldest location is tucked into a narrow street off of Graben. Other outlets are scattered around town. Trzesniewski sells open face sandwiches, slivers of rye bread (white or wheat? no, you do not get to choose!), topped with spreads made from either egg or tomatoes or cucumber, pickle...

5 Weeks + 13 Days: Austria's Generous Vacation Law

Today's Room for Debate in the New York Times asks, why Americans don't have longer vacations. Interesting topic. To read the debate and join it  click here. Austria has 13 national holidays. The minimum vacation time is five weeks. As a reporter in Vienna in the 1990s I got so much vacation time (plus the national holidays plus compensation days for working Sundays) that there was no way I could have spent it all. Unfortunately for my employer the unconsumed days and weeks carried on to the next year and further to the next. When I quit my job the paper had to pay me for all the free time not taken which added up to almost three months salary. I spent it all.